GATE 2018 Syllabus & Pattern PDF Download – The information bulletin for GATE exam is now out and all students are busy in preparing and applying for GATE exam. GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. The exam scores permit the student to apply for post graduation courses like Master of Engineering, Master of Technology. The GATE Exam tests the understanding of various subjects from graduation course in Engineering and Science. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology – Guwahati, Bombay, Kanpur, Delhi, Kharagpur, Madras & Roorkee; on behalf of the National Coordination Board. GATE score analyzes the performance level of the candidate. The score of GATE is also recognized in many Institutes outside India.
Also Read: GATE 2018 Login & Registration
GATE 2018 Syllabus PDF Download
GATE exam includes 23 papers from which the candidate has to choose one paper which he/she wishes to appear for. For the best preparation, the candidate must know the complete detail syllabus of his/her paper. So here we are sharing the complete GATE 2018 Syllabus. We have shared the links of each and every syllabus. Do click on the subject name to get the syllabus.
|Paper Code||GATE 2018 Exam Paper|
|AR||Architecture and Planning|
|CS||Computer Science and Information Technology|
|EC||Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|GG||Geology and Geophysics|
|PI||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|TF||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science|
|EY||Ecology and Evolution|
|XE -A||Engineering Mathematics|
|XE -B||Fluid Mechanics|
|XE -C||Materials Science|
|XE -D||Solid Mechanics|
|XE -F||Polymer Science and Engineering|
|XE -G||Food Technology|
|XE -H||Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences|
|XL -U||Food Technology|
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
As we mentioned earlier, GATE is an online exam which grants the candidate a permission to apply for M.Tech/PhD programs in IITs, IISc and various other institutions in India as well as in some other countries. We have shared the syllabus above for all the 23 papers. Out of them, the candidate is eligible to appear for any one paper. Here we are sharing the paper pattern for GATE 2018.
- The exam is conducted online only.
- Total 65 questions of 100 marks are what candidate must attempt in 3 hrs.
- The questions will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) & Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT).
- For MCQs, four choices will be available for the candidate whereas, for NAT type questions, the candidate must enter the real number as the answer with help of virtual keyboard.
- GA section is common in all papers. It will contain 150 questions of maximum 15 marks.
- The exam has a negative marking of 1/3 marks for questions carrying 1 mark.
Here is the Exam Pattern For All Papers Except GG, XE, XL:
- The paper will consist of 30 questions of 2 marks each.
- The candidate will also face 25 questions of 1 mark each.
- 10 questions from GA is something which is common in each paper.
Exam Pattern For Paper XL:
- Section P of Chemistry which is a compulsory section will contain total 15 questions. The 15 questions are distributed as 5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks.
- The common part of every paper – 10 questions from GA.
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – Total 20 questions will be maximum a student will have to attempt in this section. The paper will have 10 questions of 1 mark each and 10 questions of 2 marks.
Exam Pattern For Paper XE:
- Section A of Engineering Mathematics. This is a Compulsory Section. Total 11 questions will be asked. 7 questions of 1 mark each while 4 questions of 2 marks each. It is common to all candidates.
- 10 questions from GA.
- Any two of XE sections from B to H. Total 22 questions will be asked in this section. 9 questions of 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.
Here is Exam Pattern For Paper GG:
- Part A of this section will contain 25 questions of 1 mark each. This part is common for all candidates.
- 10 questions from GA.
- Part B also contains 30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section-2 is of Geophysics and section-1 is of Geology.